Planning for Your Pets During an Emergency
The best way to keep your pets safe when you can't be with them is to plan ahead: Situations include but are not limited to medical, fire, and storm related emergencies.
Here are a few tips:
- Find a trusted family member or neighbor and give them a key to your house or barn.
- Make sure this person is comfortable and familiar with your pets.
- Make sure the family member or neighbor knows your pets' whereabouts and habits, so they won't have to waste precious time trying to find or catch them.
- Make sure the family member or neighbor would be willing to take your pets and has access to the appropriate carriers and leashes.
- If you use a pet sitting service, they may be available to help, but discuss the possibility well in advance.
- Create a pet emergency kit and place it in a prominent place where your neighbor or first responders can find it. This kit should contain a list of contact numbers for whoever will be watching your animals as well as whatever the sitter may need. (Ex. Eating schedule, location of food etc.)